background

Feb 5, 2013

My New Title: Stay at Home Mom

Well... it's official! I am no longer employed.
Unless you consider Vincent and Sylas to be my new employers - which they most definitely seem to be now that they're my new full time job ;0)

If you would have asked me before I had kids whether I would ever be a stay at home mom, I probably would've laughed in your face. I went to school! I have a bachelors degree and when I graduated from college all I envisioned was devoting my time to working for the government and moving up the chain of seniority. The last thing I pictured myself doing was chasing after cute little boys and changing diapers all day. But these days, that's all I'd rather be doing.

Before now, I worked for the Air Force Research Laboratory for almost 7 years. In fact, I've worked in this building for most of my time there.
Second floor two windows down was where I called home for almost six years. And where I practically grew up. And where I made some incredible friendships and met some not so great people too. These are a few of my most favorite:
I was pushed in the direction of finance and was challenged every day - almost ;0). Government work isn't always easy so learning "the ropes" took me months and months but I'm proud of myself for taking on the challenge and taking over the lead role for my branch. 

At this point, Government work is practically instilled in me. Between growing up with two parents who spent many years themselves on this very same Air Force base, to experiencing it all for myself - it's definitely what I know best. But the forces of motherhood have drawn me away and I'm not one bit upset about it. It's bittersweet if I have to label it anything. Saying goodbye to the life I've known for what feels like forever now in order to welcome the new adventure I'm about to begin, it's a little scary too. But I have absolutely no doubt this is the right thing and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of the new life I'm making for myself with my family. Where play dates and zoo trips take the place of meetings and spreadsheets and snack time and nap time replace long drawn out afternoons where all you yearn for is the clock to finally say five o'clock, it's definitely an upgrade if you ask me. 

So my days may not be filled with all things "work" and I may not have a single thing to do tomorrow except to play with my boys but waking up every morning knowing they're my full priority gives this mom so much more happiness than I ever would have expected. These boys won't be small forever so for now, I'm going to soak them all in and just be there for them. We have the rest of our lives to be big and full of responsibility. Now is my time to be responsible for them. And I couldn't think of a more perfect job for me :0)

And to SatAC, thanks. Thanks for everything. I'll miss you.