background

Nov 14, 2011

Countdown to One

With it being Vincent's 11 month birthday and all, I find it fitting to begin a countdown to his FIRST (tear) birthday! I thought, more for my own sake than for anything else, I would take the next 30 days to reflect on everything that's happened over the last year. From the actual emotional transformation that took place between how I was before I was a mom and how I am now, to things I would do the same and the things I would do differently as a reminder for the future should I ever be lucky enough to become a mom to another beautiful child. I think it's important to remember these things because life so quickly passes us by and the next thing you know, you don't remember any of it. I find this time extremely precious so I want to be able to remember it for always.

So, it's day 30 of the countdown and I want to to share of my favorite memories. One of my favorites of Vincent's first milestones. His first laugh!

A baby's laugh is one of the most amazing sounds I think I've ever heard. Maybe second to hearing their heartbeat, but a very close second at that. So back in February or March, Vincent was about 2 or 3 months old, Jay and I were having a rough time trying to put Vincent to bed. He was just crying and crying and nothing seemed to be helping to calm him down. After what seemed like forever I finally decided to breakout the swaddle (the #1 thing we could NOT live without for months by the way). I laid him down on the bed, wrapped that swaddle tight around his little body and next thing I hear, is this little creature, who had been so mad just ONE second before, all of a sudden BURST out laughing. I instantly looked up at Jay to make sure he had heard what I just heard and by the surprised smile on his face I knew he had. Our frustrated demeanor from having tried for so long to get him to calm down just melted away in that one instant. With that one little laugh. It was so unexpected and it took forever it seemed before we would hear it again on a more consistent basis but I will never forget it. Vincent isn't the easiest little guy to make laugh so when I can squeeze one out of him I just melt. And I don't care what I look like trying to get him to do it either, haha.

In the spirit of laughing and brightening your day, I've attached a link to the very first laugh I was able to catch on video. You can tell by his size that he isnt 2 or 3 months old anymore. In fact the date on the video says May 14th which means he was exactly 5 months old but hey! a laugh is a laugh, no matter how old you are. :0)

No comments: